In order to practice Massage Therapy in Virginia and Maryland, students must study in an approved massage therapy program. Upon successful completion of the program, students are eligible to take the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards, MBLEx examination. This 91-credit program includes theoretical knowledge such as pathology, body systems, and applications of therapeutic massage to ample hands-on experience and practice through clinical practicum.
Massage Therapy Prospects
- The increasing demand on massage therapy services leads to a continued growth in the business. → Employment of massage therapist is expected to grow at a higher rate than the average employment growth of other occupations.
- Due to expansion of the health care industry, 1.7 million new jobs have been created over the past 5 years.
- The number of day spas have been increased by 400% over the past 10 years and more than 90% of high-end spa packages include massage therapy.
- A quarter of the United States population has experienced massage therapy in the past 12 months and the number is continuously growing.
- Two-thirds of clients want to get the service from the same massage therapist.
- Program Length: 70 weeks (MTF: 105 weeks)
- Total Credits: 91 credits (Major – 67 credits & General Education – 24 credits)