This process is for students who need to change a different non-immigrant visa status to a student visa. Follow the steps below to apply to Columbia College and request an I-20. You should make an appointment to discuss whether a change of status is possible in your case.  

Step 1. Application

Download, complete, print and sign the Application for Admission (International) and Student Enrollment Agreement

Step 2. Request I-20

Download, complete, print and sign the I-20 Request Form and Enrollment Acknowledgement (International).

Step 3. Request Change of Status

Download, complete, print and sign Change of Status Request Form, Change of Status Agreement and Request for Deferred Admission.

Step 4. Bank Statement

All new F-1 international students are required to show proof that funds are guaranteed for their first year of study.

  • Provide a bank statement which must be dated within six months of the start date of the program. 
    • The ending balance of the bank statement must be over $30,000 to enroll in an associate degree program.
  • If you have a sponsor, download the Affidavit of Support. Your sponsor will need to complete and sign the form. 
  • If you apply as F-2 for your dependent, you should show an additional $5,000 in your bank balance per dependent. 

If you apply as F-2 for your dependent, you should show an additional $5,000 in your bank balance per dependent.

Step 5. Proof of Completion of High School level education

  • Provide proof of completion of a U.S. high school education or its equivalent. For admission, proof can be in the form of one of the following: 
    • Copy of your high school or your secondary school diploma, OR 
    • Copy of your college or university transcript 

Step 6. Passport

  • A valid copy of your passport 
  • Copy of your current visa 
  • Submit I-94 form and any immigration documentation you have for your current status 

Step 7. Application Fee

To apply, international applicants must submit the following:  

  • International Student Application fee of $100 (non-refundable) 
  • Tuition Deposit: one session’s tuition (non-refundable) 
  • Payment options: 

All application forms and documents should be delivered to the International Student Admissions Office: 

Mailing Address:
International Student Admissions Office
8620 Westwood Center Drive,
Vienna, VA 22182 

Phone: (703) 206-0508
Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM 

Step 8. Pay the SEVIS fee

  • Pay the SEVIS fee ( 
  • Don’t forget the applicant’s name, signature and date on the bottom of original I-20. 

Step 9. Apply for change of status at USCIS

  • Receipt of SEVIS fee to show payment
  • Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status. (
    • If you are changing status from B-1, B-2, or F-2 status, you cannot begin your studies for a course of study for a certificate or a diploma prior to approval of their change of status.
    • There is no other factor that requires you to depart the U.S. prior to making a reentry based on a different classification. (ex. A USCIS officer may determine that you should obtain a new visa prior to being readmitted into the U.S.)