F-1 Students may be eligible to work only under certain conditions. There are several types of employment authorization for students.

  • On- campus Employment

    • On- campus employment is authorized until the student completes their course of study.
    • On the school’s premises, including on- location commercial firms that provide services for students on campus such as the school bookstore or cafeteria.
    • On- campus employment is limited to 20 hours a week when school is in session. However, during the student’s annual vacation and at other times when school is not in session, on campus employment can be up to 40 hours.
  • CPT, Curricular Practical Training;

    • CPT allows students to accept paid alternative work/ study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreement with the school.
    • CPT must be an integral part of the curriculum of the student’s degree program.
    • The DSO must authorize CPT on the student’s Form I-20.
    • CPT must be part time, so that it won’t affect 12 months of OPT period.
  • OPT, Optional Practical Training

    • All OPT must be directly related to the student’s major area of study.
    • Eligible students can apply to receive up to 12 months including pre- completion and post-completion.
    • Pre- completion OPT: After F-1 students have been enrolled in school for one full academic year, they may apply to participate in pre-completion OPT.
    • Post-completion OPT: After completing F-1 student’s studies, they may apply to participate in post-completion OPT.

Students authorized for post-completion OPT must work full time (at least more than 20 hours per week).