If you do not live in the United States and want to get a student visa (F-1/M-1), you must request an I-20 form to obtain a student visa. If you are not familiar with student visa and I-20, please click here to learn more.
This process is for students who want to apply for a new I-20 from outside the United States. Follow the steps below to apply to Columbia College and request an I-20.
Step 1. Application
- Download, complete, print and sign the Application-for-Admission-International and Student Enrollment Agreement, OR
- Apply online
Step 2. Request I-20
- Download, complete, print and sign the I-20 Request Form and INTERNATIONAL STUDENT Enrollment Acknowledgement
Step 3. Bank Statement
- Provide a bank statement which must be dated within six months of the start date of the program.
- Ending balance of the bank statement is over $28,000 to enroll in ESL program.
- Ending balance of the bank statement is over $30,000 to enroll in Associate Degree program.
- If you have a sponsor, please download the Affidavit of Support. Your sponsor completes and signs the form.
If you apply as F-2 for your dependent, you should show additional $5,000 per dependent.
Step 4. Proof of Completion of High School level
- Provide evidence that you have completed the equivalent of a U.S. high school education.
- Copy of your high school or your secondary school diploma, OR
- Copy of your college or university transcript
Step 5. Passport
Copy of your valid passport
Step 6. Application Fee
- Submit the application fee
- International Student Application fee of $100 (non-refundable)
- Tuition deposit $150 (non-refundable)
- Mailing Fee (non-refundable) will be different based on a delivery location; minimum $80.
- Fee payment options:
- Credit Card: Submit Credit Card Authorization Form (Foreign Transaction Fee, $60, is charged.)
- Wire Transfer
All Application forms and documents should be delivered to the International Student Admissions.
International Students Admission
8620 Westwood Center Dr.
Vienna, VA, 22182
Phone: (703) 206-0508
Office Hours: Monday through Friday : 9:00 am to 5:30 pm
Step 7. ACCEPTANCE LETTER/I-20
- After reviewing your documents and determining that you meet all the requirements, we will issue you an I-20. Based on the information you provided on your I-20 Application Form, we will mail your I-20 to you or call you to arrange a pick-up schedule. Make sure your contact information (home address, email and phone) in the application form is complete.
Step 8. Pay the SEVIS fee
- Pay the SEVIS fee (http://fmjfee.com)
Step 9. APPLYING FOR YOUR F-1 STUDENT VISA
- Complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Application (Form DS-160) for the F1 student visa here. You must upload a photo to the application. Read the photograph requirements. Don’t forget to print the application form and bring it to your interview.
- Schedule your interview
Step 10. PREPARE FOR YOUR VISA INTERVIEW
Prepare the required documents listed on your specific Embassy’s website before your visa appointment. Be sure to carry all required documents with you to your visa appointment.
Step 11. Pay Tuition
Pay 30 weeks tuition within 2weeks after the visa approval
Step 12. Prepare for travel and registration of classes
- You can arrive in USA up to 30 days before your program starts.