Dental Laboratory Technology program provides for a flexible career which offers several opportunities for advancement. After completing the program, students can be experienced and skilled technicians who own their own laboratories or become department heads where they have supervisory responsibilities.
This program is designed to prepare students for employment as dental laboratory technicians whose major tasks include construction and repair of all types of dental prosthetic appliances. Students are trained in the art of basic crown and bridge fabrication orthodontics. This program requires a total of 1,200 hours.
Dental Laboratory Technology Prospects
• As cosmetic prosthetics, such as veneers and crowns, become less expensive, there should be an increase in demand for these appliances. Accidents and poor oral health, which can cause damage and loss of teeth, will continue to create a need for dental laboratory technician services. Dental technician services will be in demand, as dentists work to improve the aesthetics and function of patients’ teeth.
• Most dental laboratory technicians work full time and the annual mean wages in Washington D.C. metropolitan area for dental laboratory technicians is between $41,990 to $63,480 in May 2017.
• In Virginia, there are approximately 500 dental labs that seek skilled professionals.
Program Length: 60 weeks (Maximum Time Frame: 90 weeks)
Total Hours: 1,200 Hours
|DLTC102||Dental Morphology Lab||140|
|DLTC151||Crowns and Bridges I||60|
|DLTC152||Crowns and Bridges Lab I||140|
|DLTC153||Crowns and Bridges II||60|
|DLTC154||Crowns and Bridges Lab II||140|
|DLTC201||Dental Ceramics I||60|
|DLTC202||Dental Ceramics Lab I||140|
|Electives (choose 2 out of DLTC203/204, DLTC251/252, and DLTC253/254)|
|DLTC203||Dental Ceramics II||40|
|DLTC204||Dental Ceramics Lab II||160|
|DLTC252||Complete Denture Lab||160|
|DLTC254||Partial Denture Lab||160|
Dr. Han Il Kim
Instructor, Dental Laboratory Technology
• Instructor, Director of Dental Lab Technology
• Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Chosun University, Korea
• M.S. in Biomedical Engineering, Yonsei University, Korea
• B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Myoungji University, Korea
• A.A.S. in Dental Laboratory Technology, Korea University, Korea
|Dr. Kim is a licensed Dental Laboratory Technician who also holds professional certifications in Mechanical Engineering and Biomedical Engineering. He is a highly knowledgeable instructor in the Dental Lab Technician field with over 10 years of higher education teaching experience. He has been building a wonderful reputation at Columbia College of his student-centered teaching style, lab-based course activities, and passion for the program and its students.|