1) Can I take a tour of the campus?2018-07-31T15:45:36-04:00

Yes. All you have to do is to email us at admissions@ccdc.edu, make a reservation online here, call or visit the Admissions Office, based on the language you speak. Our contact information can be found here.

2) How can I apply for Columbia College?2018-07-31T15:45:04-04:00

Either apply online here and print out the application here and email it to us at admissions@ccdc.edu, or come to any of our three locations and apply in person, in the Admissions Office.

3) How can I transfer my credits to another college?2018-07-31T15:41:57-04:00

Speak to someone in the Admissions Department, we will produce an official transcript in a sealed envelope or mail it to the address of the requesting party. Do not open the envelope, it becomes unofficial if you do so, and you will have to get another copy from Columbia College.

4) What does an international student need to apply?2018-07-31T15:41:30-04:00

International students need to have a U.S. Visa to attend Columbia College, a Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20) and/or Affidavit of Support Form (I-134) and bring those documents to the admissions office in the lower level of the college.

The I-134 form verifies that all funds will be available for educational and living expenses while a student is studying in the United States.

The 1-20 form is a U.S. Department of Homeland Security document issued by various types of colleges that provides support for the students obtaining visas or changes of status to their visas (F, J and M non-immigrant statuses). The I-20 form was created for use in conjunction with SEVIS (Student Exchange Visitor Information System) and SEVP (Student Exchange Visitor Program) to provide correct information for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Department of State to maintain a current list of visitors. . Since the creation of SEVIS, the form includes a tracking number for the ease of student usage.

Embassies and Consulates are able to issue student visas in 120 days or less, before the registration date of the course(s) of study. Applying earlier will not administer the visa to the student any earlier because Consular officials deem this time necessary for the processing of paperwork and research. It is also advised that students new to the U.S. not enter the U.S. any earlier than 30 days in advance of the course(s) being studied, as shown on the I-20 form. If you’d like more information on visa wait times, visit
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wait/wait_4638.html Continuing students may re-apply for a new visa at any time, as long as they follow certain criteria. They must be attending college regularly and be keeping their SEVIS records in current standing. Continuing students may also enter the U.S. at any time before the beginning of courses, unlike first-time students.

Upon acceptance, future students in foreign countries should apply to the American Consulates in their country for an F-1 or M-1 visa. Then, he/she is required to pay the non-refundable deposit fee and at least the first session’s tuition. If a potential-student is applying for an Associate’s Degree (two-year), the student must submit a TOEFL score of a minimum score of PBT, CBT or IBT 65. If you need more information on the TOEFL exam, speak to someone in the Admissions Office.

5) When should I apply? What are the financial aid deadlines per-session?2018-07-31T15:37:59-04:00

The best time to apply at Columbia College depends on whether the prospective student is an international student or a permanent resident. For permanent residents; CC advises that prospective students apply five weeks before the session he/she wants to attend. For international students; as soon as he/she arrives in the states and can come to our Tysons main campus, the Vienna, Virginia location.
The financial aid deadlines are 10 days before the beginning of the new class.

2017 Calendar sessions begin Deadline
01/30/2017 01/20/2017
03/06/2017 02/24/2017
04/10/2017 03/31/2017
05/15/2017 05/05/2017
06/19/2017 06/09/2017
07/24/2017 07/14/2017
08/28/2017 08/18/2017
10/02/2017 09/22/2017
11/06/2017 10/27/2017
12/11/2017 12/01/2017
6) How can I get a copy of my federal tax return?2018-07-31T15:36:24-04:00

Copies of federal tax returns can be requested from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on Form 4506, “Request for Copy or Transcript of Tax Form,” which is available online at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-fill/f4506.pdf
. Please note that written requests submitted on IRS Form 4506 and requests made via telephone (1-800-829-1040) should be fulfilled within 10 to 15 days. The IRS has provided an information sheet with detailed steps on how to make the request.

7) Who is considered a foreign or international student?2019-07-29T10:37:50-04:00

A foreign or international student, you would have to either be:

  • Staying in the U.S. with a valid status
  • Staying in the U.S. and already have a current F-1 visa
  • Living overseas

Anyone who lives overseas is considered a foreign or international student. They would have to stay in the U.S. while in college and attend classes full-time to maintain their status, either at one of the Columbia College residencies or with friends or family in close proximity to the college, for convenience.

International students should apply for a visa (as a student or other nonimmigrant classification), from their home country at a U.S. Embassy or with a Consulate, from their home-country. If they are already in the U.S., they can apply at an Embassy. For assistance, contact a Consulate or the Columbia College Admissions Office for questions at (703) 206-0508. Once you are in the U.S. you may need to revert back to this page for status changes and more.

International adults staying in the U.S. with a valid status or nonimmigrant classification, called an R1, B1, B2, etc, will have to apply for a status change in order to attend Columbia College. In order to keep your status, you will have to enroll in full-time classes and maintain full-time school status. Full-time status varies with each college.
F-1 students are one-step beyond that of the above. The F1 application is called the International Student Transfer Form. There are several kinds of F-1 students. An F1 student who has applied for a “Status Change” or needs to apply for one would be a person who lives or stays in the U.S. and has a tourist visa or is an exchange student from another country. An F1 student who is considered a “Transfer” has already filled out one F-1 form and has been attending another college in the U.S. prior to coming to CC. He/she can also be a former student of Columbia College that decides to proceed towards a higher degree at another college. In either case, the student will still need to contact his/her corresponding embassy to get the correct paperwork to fill out while enrolling in Columbia College. If you would like more information on F-1 Visas, go to http://www.ehow.com/about_6516388_f1-visa-information.html.

8) Is there special advising for international students?2018-07-31T15:34:13-04:00

Yes, we have a variety of speakers of seven languages (so far) that are fully-equipped to assist in the Admissions Department. The department will also lend a hand beyond the needs of admissions, when and where needed. All you have to do is ask!

Currently, we have employees that speak Mongolian, Russian, French, Korean, English, Arabic and Spanish, to assist you with your questions and concerns. For contact information, visit this link here.

9) How are international students evaluated?2018-07-31T15:27:04-04:00

Columbia College accepts a wide array of students from various different ethnic backgrounds. The Colleges admissions staff is fully equipped to communicate with speakers of foreign languages as well. As long as a potential student can acquire a U.S. visa (as a student or other nonimmigrant classification), a young-adult can attend our college. Speak to a financial aid representative for more information.

10) Will my college classes from another country count towards an associate’s degree at CC?2018-07-31T15:25:50-04:00

Some credits are transferable towards an Associate Degree. The Associate Degree programs are as follows:

  • Business Administration
  • Technical and Business English
  • Teaching English for Early Childhood
  • Dental laboratory Technology
  • Computer Science
  • Culinary Art
  • Massage Therapy
  • Cosmetology

The courses taken at your prior college have to be Nationally Accredited courses (taken at a Nationally Accredited college), and have to apply to one of our associate degree programs. For more information, speak to one of our Admissions representatives.

11) Are scholarships available for international students?2018-07-31T15:22:04-04:00

Columbia College does not offer scholarships for international students at this time. This may change in the future.
Speak to a Financial Aid representative to discuss other options for funding your college experience.

12) As an international student, do I have to take the TOEFL test?2018-07-31T15:11:47-04:00

If English is not your primary language, a TOEFL score is needed, no matter how proficient a student’s is in English. The only exceptions are that you have an SAT score of at least 480, have three years of high school English taught in a U.S. high school, have lived in the U.S. for at least 10 years, or have earned a Bachelor’s degree from a U.S. College or University.
The TOEFL score will help determine the level of a person’s English skills. This will determine a students’ placement, according to skills, in the correct classroom.

13) What score is needed on the TOEFL?2018-07-31T15:10:34-04:00

Columbia College accepts students who get a score of 500/550 on the paper-based test and 173/213 on the computer-based test. Students who get a score below those ranges will have to pass the ESL program courses in order to start a new program

14) If needed, does Columbia College offer ESL courses?2018-07-31T15:10:31-04:00

Yes. ESL course entry is based on TOEFL scores and begins every 10 weeks. Call the admissions office for more information.

Tysons Main Campus
8620 Westwood Center Drive
Vienna, VA 22182
(703) 206-0508

Centerville Campus
5940 Centerville Crest Lane
Centerville, VA 20121
(703) 206-0508

12125 Veirs Mill Road
Silver-Spring, MD 20906
(301) 323-0565

15) Can I work while I am on the F-1 status?2018-07-31T15:01:36-04:00

Occasionally, Columbia College hires students to work in one of our offices. The college advises against students applying for a position in their first 10-week session, because students will have to adjust to their new lifestyle. Students on an F-1 visa who are in-status may work on campus 20 hours per week or less. Employment is limited on campus, so students should not depend on getting hired. Accepted students are not permitted to engage in off-campus employment without proper authorization from Immigration and Naturalization Services. Check with the local embassy before applying for a position outside the college.

16) How many classes do I have to take to maintain my legal F-1 status?2018-07-31T14:56:16-04:00

Students attending college that want to maintain their legal F-1 status must attend college full-time and carry twelve credits per semester (for Associate Degree Programs). Students must also attend all necessary classes if they are in the Certificate Program.

17) What happens if I do not complete my degree program or receive my certificate before my I-20 expiration date?2018-07-31T14:53:52-04:00

An extension to your I-20 form may be filled out so you can complete your program of study.

18) Can I legally stay in the U.S. while waiting to attend more classes at a different college (as a transfer)?2018-07-31T14:51:25-04:00

After a student transfers out of his/her first college, he/she may stay legally in the United States to start classes in another school, provided that the waiting period does not exceed five months. He/she should speak to an advisor, as soon as possible, at his/her local embassy to make sure he/she will not fall out of status.

19) How soon do I have to leave the U.S. after I graduate?2018-07-31T14:48:54-04:00

Students are allowed to stay in the United States for a period of sixty days counting from the program completion date indicated on your I-20 or the last day of classes, whichever is earlier.

20) How can I get information about a specific campus?2022-03-23T11:05:52-04:00

Columbia College has 3 locations in the DMV area. They are as follows:

Tysons Main Campus
8620 Westwood Center Drive
Vienna, VA 22182
(703) 206-0508

Maryland Rockville Extension
20 W Gude Drive
Rockville, MD 20850
(301) 929-0565

Feel free to contact the campuses directly or call the main campus in Tysons for information.

21) What Certificate programs and Associate Degree programs are available?2018-07-31T14:42:24-04:00

Columbia College offers Certificate programs and Associate Degree programs.

The Certificate programs are as follows:

  • Cosmetology
  • ESL (English as a Second Language)
  • Dental Laboratory Technology
  • Culinary Arts
  • CMT (Certified Massage Therapist)
  • CNA (Certified Nursing Aide)

The Associate Degree programs are as follows:

  • Business Administration
  • Technical and Business English
  • Teaching English for Early Childhood
  • Computer Science
  • Culinary Arts
  • Massage Therapy
  • Cosmetology
  • Dental Laboratory Technology
22) Are the interest rates for student loans high?2018-07-31T14:41:30-04:00

No. In fact, interest rates for student loans are much lower than the rates of private or commercial loans because the government subsidizes them. Repayment terms are affordable and alumni usually does not have to start repaying loans until six months after finishing college, or discontinuing attendance in college.

It also does not matter if a person has bad credit; the amount of student loans does not depend, at all, on your past history with creditors, it depends on financial need. This does not mean a potential student who is struggling, financially, will receive the full amount to attend college, however. Each type of loan or grant has a limit based on college year, whether the student is dependent or independent, and whether the student will be a grad or undergrad student.

For subsidized loans, the U.S. government pays the students interest while the student is in school. If you do not qualify for a subsidized loan, you can apply for an un-subsidized loan, but you will have to pay the accrued interest after you have stopped attending college. It will be included in your monthly tuition bill.

There are additional options for students who do not qualify for Government loans or will not have enough of an income to satisfy their financial need while attending college. These include private loans, grants, scholarships and our Columbia College payment plan. Speak to someone in admissions for details.

23) Am I eligible to receive financial aid if I have filed for bankruptcy?2018-07-31T14:38:48-04:00

Financial aid applicants in bankruptcy status are considered for financial aid on the basis of financial need, as all other students. Bankruptcy status is not a factor in determining financial need. However, before financial aid can be offered, the prospective student must submit a copy of your Meeting of the Creditors letter to the Office of Student Financial Aid at Columbia College. The student can obtain this document from his/her attorney or the courthouse. Another option would be to acquire another document that shows his/her education loans are NOT included in the bankruptcy.

24) What information do I need to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?2018-07-31T14:37:52-04:00

To apply for FAFSA, you need:

  • Social Security Numbers
    • Social Security number
    • Parents Social Security numbers
  • Permanent Resident Card (If you are not a US citizen)
  • Tax Returns
    • Federal Income Tax Return
    • Spouse’s Federal Income Tax Return, if you’re married and filed separately
    • Parents Federal Income Tax Return, if you’re a dependent
  • Proof of finances
    • 2015 W2 forms
    • Parents 2015 W2 forms (if you’re a dependent)
    • Bank statement (if you’re independent)
    • Parents bank statement (if you’re dependent)
25) What is Columbia College’s Financial Aid school code?2018-07-31T14:36:07-04:00

Federal School Code for Columbia College is 041273

26) Are financial-aid deadlines important?2018-07-31T14:33:47-04:00

You should pay special attention to the many deadlines in the student financial aid application process. Missing a deadline could prevent you from receiving some or all of the aid you are eligible to receive.

27) How do I fill out the (FAFSA)?2023-02-15T09:45:52-04:00

To apply for federal student aid, you need to complete the FAFSA (the Free Application for Federal Student Aid).

If you’re ready to fill out the FAFSA now, go for it! https://fafsa.ed.gov/

Completing and submitting the FAFSA is free and quick, and it gives you access to the largest source of financial aid to pay for college or career school.

If you have any questions, call or visit our Financial Aid Department.

8620 Westwood Center Drive,
Vienna, VA 22182

(703) 206 – 0508

28) Do I only need to apply for the FAFSA once?2018-07-31T14:30:49-04:00

You must apply for federal student aid for every award year that you attend. If you submitted a FAFSA last year, and you are eligible to complete a Renewal FAFSA, you may choose to have most of the questions pre-filled with the information you provided. Simply updating the information for the new award year on a Renewal FAFSA may be faster. However, the Renewal FAFSA is available solely for your convenience. If you prefer to start fresh with a new FAFSA, you are free to do so.

29) What is the application fee for? How much is it?2018-07-31T14:29:39-04:00

A non-refundable application fee of $100 is required for each application. You will not need to submit another application fee if you apply for courses at more than one Columbia College campus, unlike many other colleges.

30) Do I need to maintain a certain G.P.A. to keep receiving my award funds?2018-07-31T14:28:45-04:00

To maintain eligibility for Financial Aid, students must meet SAP standards:

  1. Successfully complete at least 67% of the units attempted each term.
  2. Maintain a cumulative Financial Aid GPA of 2.0(C) or higher.
  3. Complete program of study within 150% of published program length, measured in attempted units. (Example: a maximum of 90 attempted semester units are allowed to complete an Associate or Transfer program of 60 required units. Beyond the 90 units, a student becomes ineligible for further financial aid.)
31) What are the requirements to maintain my eligibility for financial aid?2018-07-31T14:27:24-04:00

To continue enrollment at Columbia College and to receive federal student financial aid, a student must make satisfactory academic progress. Both grades earned (GPA) and hours attempted and completed are considered. Each session that a student attends Columbia College, the Financial Aid Office will review the student’s academic progress.
Not meeting these standards will result in Financial Aid Probation for the next semester. This means that the student would continue to receive financial aid for the semester he/she is on probation. Failure to meet the required standards in the subsequent academic term will result in financial aid suspension. Anyone placed on financial aid suspension is no longer eligible to receive financial aid. See the financial aid office for more details.

32) What benefits are available under the Virginia Military Survivors and Dependents Education Program?2018-07-31T14:26:07-04:00

The benefits available under the VMSDEP are a waiver and a stipend.

A waiver of tuition is a cancellation of tuition costs and all required fees at any public institution of higher education or other public accredited postsecondary institution granting a degree, diploma, or certificate in the commonwealth of Virginia.

The second is a stipend to offset other necessary costs for attending college, including: room, board, books, and supplies (amount of stipend is dependent on funding) for students attending any public institution of higher education or other public accredited postsecondary institution granting a degree, diploma, or certificate of the Commonwealth of Virginia.

33) How do I access my VMSDEP benefits?2018-07-31T14:24:54-04:00

To access VMSDEP benefits, follow these steps:

a) Apply for and be accepted by Columbia College or other institute of higher learning granting a degree, diploma or certification in the commonwealth of Virginia.

b) Request a letter of eligibility from the Virginia Department of Veterans Services by completing the VMSDEP application found on the Department of Veterans Services Website at: https://www.dvs.virginia.gov/education-employment/virginia-military-survivors-and-dependents-education-program-2-2/.

c) Present your VMSDEP Letter of Eligibility to Columbia Colleges Financial Aid Office, located inside the Admissions Office. The Virginia Department of Veterans Services will mail a copy of the VMSDEP Letter of Eligibility to Columbia College. Note that it is the students’ responsibility to make sure the correct benefits have been correctly applied before CC sends the information to billing.

34) How do I request a letter of eligibility?2018-07-31T14:23:33-04:00

To request a letter of eligibility, complete the VMSDEP application, found on the Virginia Department of Veterans Services website at: https://www.dvs.virginia.gov/education-employment/virginia-military-survivors-and-dependents-education-program-2-2/. Print, sign and mail the application to the address shown on the application.

35) When will I be notified if I am eligible for VMSDEP benefits?2018-07-31T14:20:37-04:00

Our goal is to make all eligibility determinations within thirty days of receipt of your application. It is important that prospective students apply early so that the Virginia Department of Veterans Services will have time to review your application, and, if you are eligible, issue your Letter of eligibility in time for you to use your VMSDEP benefits.

36) How does the waiver of tuition and required fees work?2018-07-31T14:19:35-04:00

Future students are eligible for up to four years (36 months) of the VMSDEP benefits. This means that Columbia College will waive tuition and required fees for up to four years, per student. This also applies if a student attends one school for part of the four years and another school for the remainder. Present the VMSDEP Letter of eligibility to CCs Office of Financial Aid to ensure the tuition and fee waiver is applied to his/her student account.

37) What is the stipend for room, board, books and supplies?2018-07-31T14:17:58-04:00

The 2007 General Assembly created what is known as the Virginia Military Survivors and Dependents Education Fund (VMSDEF). The sole purpose of the VMSDEF is to provide financial assistance for board and room charges, books and supplies, and other expenses necessary for the completion of the course-load within the allotted time-frame.

38) Is the surviving spouse of a qualifying military service member eligible to attend school under the Virginia Military Survivors and Dependents Education Fund (VMSDEP) program?2018-07-31T14:15:45-04:00

Yes, as long as all eligibility requirements are met.

39) May I attend two state-supporting colleges or universities at the same time?2018-07-31T14:14:49-04:00

Yes. Students may attend two state-supported schools concurrently, as long as he/she meets the admission and attendance requirements of each institution.

40) How do I get a waiver to use my benefits past the age of 29?2018-07-31T14:13:05-04:00

Send a letter to the Commissioner of Veterans Services requesting the waiver. The letter should clearly state why the student was not able to use his/her benefits before age 30. Be sure to attach any supporting documentation. Approval is not automatic- there must be extenuating circumstances that have prevented a person from using VMSDEP benefits before the age of 30.

41) Are there attendance or academic requirements that must be met under the VMSDEP (the Virginia Military Survivors and Dependents Education Fund)?2018-07-31T14:12:13-04:00

Yes. Attendance and academic progress must be acceptable within the guidelines established by the school being attended. If the student is suspended from school for any reason, his/her benefits will be terminated form the VDMSDEP.

41) Are there attendance or academic requirements that must be met under the VMSDEP (the Virginia Military Survivors and Dependents Education Fund)?2018-07-31T14:06:50-04:00

Yes. Attendance and academic progress must be acceptable within the guidelines established by the school being attended. If the student is suspended from school for any reason, his/her benefits will be terminated form the VDMSDEP.

42) How is VMSDEP different from the Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)?2018-07-31T13:55:47-04:00

VMSDEP is a Commonwealth of Virginia Program, and is administered by the Virginia Department of Veterans Services, state agency. The Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35 of Title 38 of the U.S. Code) is a federal government program and is administered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (also called the VA).

43) Can I use the VMSDEP (the Virginia Military Survivors and Dependents Education Fund ) and the Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35) benefits at the same time?2018-07-31T13:53:59-04:00

Yes. Future students may use VMSDEP and chapter 35 benefits at the same time, however, please note that the eligibility periods for the two programs are different. Depending on a students’ circumstances, he/she may decide to use each programs benefit(s) concurrently, or separately.

44) When will I find out how much aid I’ve been awarded?2023-02-15T09:46:52-04:00

Whether you receive your Student Aid Report (SAR) online or on paper depends on whether you provide an email address on your FAFSA. If you apply for FAFSA online, it may take 3-5 days to receive SAR.

If you provide a valid email address, you’ll receive an email with instructions on how to access an online copy of your SAR.

Also, you can use, FAFSA4caster, which is a free financial aid calculator that gives you an early estimate of your eligibility for federal student aid. (FAFSA4caster is not an application for aid; it’s a planning tool.)


45) How much can I borrow?2018-07-31T13:49:03-04:00

Your school determines the loan type(s), if any, and the actual loan amount you are eligible to receive each award year.  However, there are limits on the amount in subsidized and unsubsidized loans that you may be eligible to receive each award year (annual loan limits) and the total amounts that you may borrow for undergraduate and graduate study (aggregate loan limits). The actual loan amount you are eligible to receive each academic year may be less than the annual loan limit. These limits vary depending on:

 Your cost of attendance
 Expected Family Contribution
 Other financial aid received
 Program length

46) How will I receive my loan money?2018-07-31T13:45:34-04:00

The school will first apply your loan funds to your school account to pay for tuition, fees, and other school charges. If any additional loan funds remain, they will be returned to you. All loan funds must be used for your education expenses.
• Enrollment is at least half-time at the college
• False information made the student eligible for the loan

47) When do I have to begin making payments on my loan?2018-07-31T13:44:44-04:00

Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans—Repayment begins after a 6-month grace period. The grace period begins the day after you cease at least half-time enrollment.

Direct PLUS Loans—Repayment begins 60 days after the student has received the last installment of the loan for a school year. However, as long as the student is still enrolled at least half-time, the Department of Education will grant a deferment that allows a student to postpone payments while he/she is continuing his/her education.*

There is no grace period for PLUS loans, however, so the parent (of the student) will be expected to begin repayment as soon as deferment ends.

48) How much time will I have to repay my loan, and how much will I have to pay each month?2018-07-31T13:41:02-04:00

Generally, borrowers have from 10 to 25 years to repay his/her loans, depending on the repayment plan chosen. Monthly payment amounts will be based on the amount borrowed and the repayment plan selected.

  • Standard Repayment Plan—Fixed monthly payments for up to 10 years.
  • Extended fixed repayment or extended graduated payment plan—You will make fixed or graduated monthly payments and repay your loan in full over a period of time, not to exceed 25 years (not including periods of deferment or forbearance).
  • Graduated Repayment Plan— Payments start off lower at first and then gradually increase, usually every 2 years. The loan must be repaid within 10 years.
  • Income Contingent Repayment Plan— the monthly payment is adjusted each year based on your annual income (and your spouse’s income, if you’re married), your family size, and the total amount of your Direct Loans. After 25 years, any unpaid loan amount will be forgiven.
  • Income-Based Repayment Plan — the required monthly payment amount will be based on the former students’ income during any period when he/she has a partial financial hardship. The monthly payment amount may be adjusted annually. The maximum repayment period under this plan may exceed 10 years. If he/she meets certain requirements over a specified period of time, he/she may qualify for cancellation of any outstanding balance.

If a former student doesn’t choose a repayment plan, the Standard Repayment Plan is used, but he/she can change plans at any time. There’s no penalty if he/she makes payments before they are due or pay more than the amount due each month.

You may use the Loan Payment Calculator to estimate your monthly loan payments. http://www.finaid.org/calculators/loanpayments.phtml

49) What will happen if I don’t make my student loan payment by the due date?2018-07-31T13:31:57-04:00

Borrowers are considered delinquent if their monthly payment is not received by the due date. If he/she fails to make a payment, he/she will receive a warning notice and reminder of the loan obligations and the consequences of default from the company or companies that offered loans to the student. Late fees may be added if payments are late, and delinquency will be reported to one or more national credit bureaus.

50) What is default?2018-07-31T13:31:05-04:00

Default occurs when a borrower becomes 270 days delinquent in making loan payments. If this occurs:

  • The entire unpaid loan amount becomes due and payable
  • The Department of Education will report your default to national credit bureaus
  • The Department of  Education may sue, take all or part of the students federal tax refund or other federal payments, or garnish the wages (of the borrower) so that the borrower’s employer is required to send the DOE part of his/her salary to pay off his/her loan, or use a combination of these actions
  • The borrowers will have to pay collection fees and costs, plus court costs and attorney fees
  • He/she will lose eligibility for other federal student aid and most other federal benefit programs
  • He/she will no longer be eligible for loan deferments (such as deferments while you’re in school, unemployed, or experiencing economic hardship).
51) Do I have to fill out another application to a second campus if I decide to transfer over to that campus?2018-07-31T13:28:28-04:00

The future student should fill an application out online and bring it to the campus to enroll in a program, to save time. If the future student does not have access to a printer, he/she can fill it out on-campus.
A non-refundable application fee of $100 is required for each application. You will not need to submit another application fee if you apply for courses at more than one Columbia College campus, unlike many other colleges. Start your application here (insert link here)

52) Can my parents get a loan to help pay for my college education?2018-07-31T13:29:25-04:00

Yes, parents of undergraduate dependent students can apply for the PLUS loan

53) If I take classes at another school as well as at Columbia College, can I receive financial aid at both schools?2018-07-31T13:26:00-04:00

You can only receive financial aid from one school at a time.

54) Is on-campus living necessary and convenient?2018-07-31T13:17:42-04:00

On-site living is necessary for those who don’t own a vehicle, live more than a forty minute drive, are active-duty and receive housing assistance or are students who need a place to live when attend Columbia College to study. Early classes may come in around rush-hour and therefore, are more predictable while taking public transportation, due to the higher number of busses and trains running. On-site living eradicates all the inconveniences, because it is only a five-minute walk (Spring Hill Metro Station) or a fifteen minute drive, no-matter the weather or traffic.
On-site living is extremely convenient for active-duty military personnel or veterans who qualify for the Post 9/11 GI bill (see http://benefits.va.gov/gibill/ for details) because attending students can receive assistance with housing, and in some cases, housing for family members. If military personnel students qualify, they may even cover the total cost of living for that person.
If you would like information about all four of the residencies students currently reside at, check out our full descriptions here.

Go to Top