The Post 9/11 GI Bill is an education benefit provided to individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. In many cases, the dependents of an active-duty official can also receive benefits. These benefits are determined by certain criteria: the length of your qualifying active duty, the location of the college campus, how you’ve taken your courses and your “rate of pursuit” in college. Qualifying students can receive up to 100% tuition reimbursement.

If prospective students would like more information on the Post 9/11 GI bill, they may visit for details. Students can also receive assistance with housing if they qualify. To view the four Columbia College locations, click on this link (place link to housing page here).

Active-duty military students who are eligible for Chapter 33 benefits and have exhausted all tuition assistance (TA) in a given year may use their VA benefits to cover the cost of tuition and fees. The potential student must notify the Certifying Official of Columbia College for any classes he/she would like to be certified for in order to apply for VA benefits. Speak to someone in our financial services department about doing so. Also, take a look at the section on the Yellow Ribbon program as well.

After students have applied to Columbia College, they should submit a VA application to the department of VA by mail, fax or the VA online application system. Here is the direct link: To find a VA branch location, fax or phone number near you, go to

Required Documents for G.I. Bill

F-G (Financial Guarantee) Letter
Copy of Military ID
High School Diploma or waiver form

To apply for the VA, you will need to submit one of the below forms:

  • 22-1990- Application for Educational Benefits
  • 22-1995- Request for Change of Program or Place of Training
  • 22-5490- Application for Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance
  • 22-5495- Request for Change of Program or Place of Training for Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance

It can take up to 12 weeks to process applications, so please submit them as soon as possible. In addition, prospective students must wait two months or more for a response by mail, from the Department of Veterans Affairs.  Once the department has determined whether a person is eligible and he/she has received the certificate in the mail, he/she can bring a copy of the letter to the Admissions Office for Financial Aid in order to receive their educational benefits.

For information on Virginia State Veterans Services, feel free to write or call them at:

Virginia Department of Veterans Services

270 Franklin Road, S.W., Room 503

Roanoke, VA 24011

(540) 857-7104

Monday-Friday 8am to 4:30pm